If you’re skeptical about beets, I get it! However, red beets are a definitely more pungent in flavor then golden beets. So if you don’t like red beets, I encourage you to give golden beets a chance. The root vegetable is naturally sweet, packed with vitamins and minerals, and add such a incredible earthy flavor to this arugula salad!
If you are vegan or choose not to eat dairy, feel free to omit the goat cheese all together, or add a nut based cheese! There are so many impressive dairy-free cheeses out there today, one of my favorite brands is Kite Hill! I chose to use goat cheese because I love the taste, and I have no problem with small amounts of high quality cheese! Hope you guys love this recipe, keep it in your back pocket over the holidays for an appetizer or fun side dish!
Serves: 4 servings
- 4-5 Medium Golden Beets
- 5 cups fresh arugula
- 1/3 cup Pine Nuts, Toasted
- 1-3 cup crumbled goat cheese
- 3 tablespoons fresh dill
- 1 orange, juiced
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tsp dijon mustard
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp honey
- Preheat oven to 400F. Scrub the beets to remove any dirt, and wrap each beet in aluminum foil. Place on a baking sheet and bake for about an hour, or until the beets are tender all the way through.
- Let beets cool, remove skin, and cut into wedges.
- Toast the pine nuts in a pan over medium heat until they are golden brown.
- Crumble the goat cheese, pick the dill, and add all to the bowl with the beets and arugula.
- For the dressing, combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix until well combined. Taste, and add a bit more salt, pepper, vinegar, or honey if needed!
- Serve at room temperate!